CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Oprah....


Two and a half years ago, i moved 800 miles from Atlanta, to Chicago. I was perfectly happy with my life in Atlanta, but the long distance had begun to wear on Ken and I and because i got transferred, it was sort of a no brainer to move. Now don't get me wrong, Chicago is a nice enough city, but I never fell in Love the way others have with this city. I am a southerner. I don't care how many museums, restaurants or sports teams you have....i am never going to be able to get over the fact that there are 9 months of winter here EVERY YEAR! (bless its sweet heart).

There were only two enticing elements about Chicago, that i was overly excited about. 1) Kenneth and 2) the chance to go to the Oprah show. Truth be told, i was pretty sure my chances of marrying Kenneth were much higher than the chance of me being able to go to the Oprah Show...considering it has been statistically proven that you have a better chance of winning the lottery than getting tickets! So i did what everyone does. I went online and wrote heartfelt stories on oprah.com, in hopes that they might throw me a bone and I could get some last minute seats. That didn't work. Seriously, i wrote the saddest fake letter about my impossible destitute financial situation to try to get on a Suzy Orman episode... to no avail! So i asked myself a question....What Would Oprah Do?? Oh yes! She would...duh...PUT IT ON HER VISION BOARD! So here is the answer to everyone's question... YES!! Vision Boards work!!

So i got a ticket....not one... but FOUR tickets!!! Now here comes the hard part...who do you invite? And that's where the vision board ended. So alas, I am ECSTATIC about the opportunity, but equally sad that I knew EXACTLY who i wanted to bring, but yet many of them were much to far away to come with me. And no one was more upset about that than my poor mother!
I did get a group of Oprah fanatics like me together and we had a WONDERFUL time. We had tickets to the first show, which means we had to check in at the show at 7:00am. I have never been so excited to get up at 5am in my life. I was sad that i couldn't get pictures because they do not even allow you to bring a camera or cell phone into the building.

The show was all about women's rights and had Maria Shriver, Gloria Steinem and Billy Jean King featured. It was truly empowering, and i had a reah "ah hah!" moment. Since i have been married, i have struggled with finding my footing with the balance of work and home. My husband was raised in a household (much like mine) where women worked full time, came home, cooked for the family, cleaned the house, balanced the books and raised the children. I know you ladies hear me when i say, yes we love our husbands, but did you ever know men were so helpless? I feel like i have to organize and execute nearly EVERYTHING sometimes! Yes, it is probably because i feel that my way is the best way, the most convenient way, the most logical way....(because it IS!). To be fair, Ken does help around the house A LOT.....much more than any of the men in my family, so in that regard, i am very lucky. My mother teases that he does so much around the house because "his wife" doesn't do it. So i struggle with the question of if i should feel guilty about that. Should i feel personally responsible when there are dishes dirty, laundry piling up, groceries are running low, or the baseboards need to be cleaned even though i work as hard as my husband at my job? Should i feel guilty that all i want to do when i get home, is the SAME thing he wants to do when he gets home.....sit on my rear end and watch TV? Well Gloria Steinem gave me my answer to that.... a big fat NO! She stressed that the women's movement for equality in the workplace was not to put more pressure on women to "do it all" but to put more emphasis on equality for men AND women in both the workplace AND at home.

Don't worry, i won't stop wearing a bra and shaving my arm pits. But i will not however spend a moments worry when that load of laundry takes an extra day to get folded and put away. I am woman, hear me ROAR!


P.S. Gloria Steinem is 74 and looks FABULOUS! Good grief!

1 comments:

lesli said...

i think i'm one of those friends that would have gotten to go, right? girl, that is so fun! and i'm with you, winter is too long for chicago to be anyone's true love! can't wait to come visit you again=)