CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, January 19, 2009

MLK Day....

It took every ounce of energy to drag myself out of bed this morning. Monday's are always tough for me, because i never go to bed anywhere near my normal time on weekends, so i always wake up feeling sleep deprived. While i was in the shower, i realized that it was MLK day. I decided that i shouldn't complain about going to work today.... i would be humbled and thankful....

This holiday has another special meaning for me. Five years ago, Ken and i went on our first date on MLK day. We went to Houston's in Nashville, TN. The day before, Ken asked me to lunch the next day since we didn't have class. I of course spent hours getting ready; the perfect pair of jeans, my new sweater, stiletto boots and my new leather jacket.....only to meet up with him and find him in stained jeans, a green t-shirt and a black fleece. Seriously? I later learned that he had gotten dressed up, but then changed because he didn't want to seem like he was "trying so hard." It was completely transparent, because what struggling college student would take a girl out to Houston's if they weren't trying to impress her? The car ride to the restaurant was pretty quiet, and i remember thinking to myself.. this is going to be the LONGEST date EVER....

We were in the restaurant, waiting to be seated, and there were kids running around everywhere. Now, i love children, but i get so annoyed when people can't contain their children in public. I looked over at Kenneth and said, "Do you think these bad a$$ kids even know why they are out of school today?" We both fell out laughing. It turned out to be the best first date ever. We talked, laughed, fed each other food, held hands and even the waitress thought we were completely cute, and that we had been together for years. Hmmm....maybe we were completely annoying and she was just being nice?

This morning i got a call from Kenneth, inviting me to lunch. This is the first time since i moved to Chicago, that both of our schedules have allowed us time to have lunch together. While we ate and talked,we both looked at each other in awe. Who knew that lunch 5 years ago would lead to this one?

I am always very reflective on this day every year and the same thing runs through my mind......Dr. King's dream is not the only dream come true i think of on this day.


2 comments:

lesli said...

are you trying to make me cry? what a beautiful post and reflection on your relationship. i am so glad that you didn't write kenneth off as a scrub.=) i love you two!

Terri said...

this is a sweet story, at least parts of it. a feel good story. :)